Holy Eparchial Synod Convenes Spring Meeting
Apr 26, 2012
NEW YORK – The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America concluded its regularly scheduled spring meetings and issued the following communiqué:
The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (L to R) Bishop Sevastianos of Zela, Chief Secretary; Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco, Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit, Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver, Metropolitan Iakovos of Chicago, Archbishop Demetrios of America (President), Metropolitan Methodios of Boston, Metropolitan Alexios of Atlanta, Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh and Metropolitan Evangelos of New Jersey. (Photo © Dimitrios Panagos/GOA)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE HOLY EPARCHIAL SYNOD
The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Holy Archdiocese of America convened its regular spring meeting on April 25 and 26, 2012 at the Synodal chamber of the Holy Archdiocese in New York, with His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America presiding and the participation of all its members.
The day before the official convening of the Synod, April 24, the members of the Synod completed the English translation from the original Greek text of the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom which will be submitted to the Ecumenical Patriarchate for approval.
The Holy Synod discussed a number of subjects among them the following:
1. Special aspects of pastoral care and administration of the Holy Archdiocese of America related to clergy and laity.
2. Subjects related to the education and training of candidates to the priesthood.
3. The upcoming Clergy-Laity Congress of the Holy Archdiocese of America in Phoenix, Arizona.
4. The continuing effort for assistance to needy individuals and families in Greece, beyond the assistance in the amount of $500,000 offered already to the Archdiocese of Athens, which will be used for specific relief programs.
5. Contribution to programs of pastoral care for patients in hospitals.
6. Issues of inter-Orthodox relations and activities.
From the Office of the Holy Eparchial Synod
== 30 ==
- His Beatitude Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens and All Greece Receives Honorary Doctorate from Holy Cross School of Theology
- Address of His Beatitude Ieronymos at the Graduation Ceremony of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
- Primate of the Church of Greece Meets with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Visits Harvard University
- Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Opens Seminar on Religious Freedom Celebrating the 1700th Anniversary of the Edict of Milan